When the Phoenix respawns, I try again with a bucket of lava

Quests, People, Places, Storylines, Factions

Moderators: Game Designers, Programmers, Art Dept., GLOSS Team

Re: When the Phoenix respawns, I try again with a bucket of

New postby qubodup » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:59 pm

Zurnl wrote:hi, i have no problem to say everything i made are free to use even for commercial use.
Sad to see this project dead... i've been following dungeon hack related forums since 2007...

zurnl

Looks like all your art is on opengameart, thanks a lot for putting it there :)
qubodup
Community Admin

New postby Brendan_ » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 8:36 pm

Hiatus probably best describes our working relationships as I feel certain we will remain open to pulling together when there is something to pull together around.

But DungeonHack, a DF-alike begun in 2005/6, is one of several dead projects, and I say this because a salvage operation seems like it would cost more and yield less than liquidation would. There is, after all, a true successor to the DF remake crown: DaggerXL. In the end, it matters more that the dream is fulfilled, not who does it. I know I would have done better to have kept that in mind.

But for each of you, the choice is yours. I just want to see you working on something that will reward your efforts rather than toiling in vain. Other projects are good places for that and for making new friends. Personally, I have been keeping tabs on and providing some minor help to successful projects and learning by observation what distinguishes them from others, learning some new skills, and reading.

In any case, I wish you well with whatever you choose to do. You won't have the lights here turned off by me.
Brendan_
Project Leader

New postby garvek » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks Brendan

hope to see you come around :) and also hope that people will finally get to something they enjoy.
MOV AX, 9
MOV DX, @Signature
INT 21H
garvek
Lead Programmer

New postby 1Samildanach » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:33 pm

freegamer wrote:--trimmed--
These are not difficult tasks. The towns in daggerfall were just blocks fitted together. The dungeons a set of corridors and rooms of set shapes that were linked together (and there's plenty of dungeon generating algorithms online - start with something 2d, then wedge a few of those together, and bam you have a random 3d dungeon generator). The world was a 2D grid with randomly placed coordinates for dungeons, towns - it isn't hard stuff. A motivated programmer could have those 3 things put together in a few days. Assorted blocks, 2d dungeon generator hacked to be 3d, random coordinates on a map. Generating a basic 3d world around that shouldn't take much longer. Again, keep it basic, throw out shaders. Heightmap generators are common online as well.

In the process of moving some threads around, I came across one I posted back in '08. It was about implementing basic random dungeons. Not sure why it didn't get anywhere at the time, but it may be worth considering for future efforts.

Oh, and I hadn't forgotten about it, I just didn't bother digging it up earlier =P.
Now, we're not trying to indoctrinate you. Well, we are, but we're not succeeding.
— Peter Sagal, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
1Samildanach

Previous

Return to Lore