Our Plan: One place. One man.

For project planning

Moderators: Game Designers, Programmers, Art Dept., GLOSS Team

Our Plan: One place. One man.

New postby Brendan_ » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 6:16 pm

We're close to completion of a demo. And if you were to encounter our project for the first time, how impressed would you be by having Rhan described in a wiki versus unveiled to you in a working game in dialog with a character like Fengzhi, ultimately written by the man behind the lore?
Godhead's strongest asset is its intricate, realistic, and thought-provoking lore, all set in a uniquely exotic world that takes an unapologetic right angle to the medieval and fantasy traditions that have dominated RPGs for at least 20 years. Rhan is Rhan, and that's truly saying something.

I'm not going to sell this idea to you to spur you on to completion. You're here because you already want this to happen. I'm here to point out that we easily can make it happen! The things we need are few and within our collective skills:
  • Construct Rhanese face mesh (WIP: Musk)
  • Texture Rhanesian skin
  • Texture and animate Rhanesian clothes
  • Write dialogs (DONE: Brendan_, Nils, Sam)
  • LoSify dialog (DONE: TheAncientGoat, Brendan_)
  • Construct basic Ruined Port map for LoS (DONE: TheAncientGoat)
  • Swap in Pal's Godhead soundtrack for LoS (DONE: theotherhiveking)
  • Implement basic sky (DONE: theotherhiveking, garvek)
Anyone and everyone able to should get involved bringing this to demo to completion, because this is the beginning of what you're around here at all for!

Now, I do sense the skepticism about our ultimate chances. Progress has been a disappointment for a long time. You may find yourself thinking that one dead-simple demo won't change much. But to quote the leader of our unofficial new partner team "projects die when you stop working on them". What LoS has, it has because of people who would not give up even when disappointment decimated their team. And now.. they have not just a few new people but a whole other FOSS project moving into collaboration with them. So if you find yourself losing faith that progress will be made, consider the power you have over that right in your own hands...

I am determined that this is the start of a new momentum for us. But for brief absences, I have never given up on this project! So, let's pull it all together and make something worth talking about. To get there, we need to be talking about action we can take to meet our (temporarily modest) goals, and then TAKE IT!

I believe we can be there in just two weeks, September 20th. And I challenge you all to find ways we can work together to make it there even faster than I currently expect us to.

This is what we do.
Brendan_
Project Leader

Re: Our Plan: One place. One man.

New postby Brendan_ » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 6:50 pm

To review, the basics of the forthcoming demo:

Using the Lips of Suna engine, import our art assets to create a map for Ruined Port, Hyalang featuring one NPC: the noted philosopher Fengzhi from the Kingdom of Rhanesia, one of two theocratic monarchies dominating the subcontinent of Rhan locked in a bitter economic and military stalemate.

The setting is a relatively small map compared to what is planned.

The demo's main feature is dialog exploring the setting and themes of our game, "Godhead". The character of Fengzhi is not going to coddle the player or behave in any way like a tutorial. Fengzhi will not tell you which button to press to swing your sword. Fengzhi challenges the player to think and provides in-context musings on the complex culture, people, and powers of Rhan, and those looming outside Rhan (the expanding Borunese Empire) as well as on the nature of godhood. Fengzhi is unapologetic about dismissing stupid questions but rewarding to those who truly seek knowledge.
Compared to NPCs in other games who are largely indifferent to how much the player immerses themselves in the context of the game world's lore, Fengzhi is meant to make the rewards fall firmly in favor of engaging with the world of Rhan as a character in it rather than just a player mechanically going through media.
Brendan_
Project Leader

New postby paul.illes » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 7:15 pm

Fascinating. Really.

Side note: if you need something related to the tracks available to make it compatible with LoS, drop a reply in the arts sticky thread pls,
Thx!
paul.illes

New postby TheAncientGoat » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 7:20 pm

I'll most probably be around for consultation, but I really should be studying. I do think we have enough for a tech demo at this very moment, in my Github repo, but someone has to compile + package it.
TheAncientGoat

New postby Musk-of-Ephesus » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 8:36 pm

Brendan_ wrote:I believe we can be there in just two weeks, September 20th.

I don't want to rush my work to meet that deadline, plus I'm sick right now anyway. I remember last Christmas was a deadline and I rushed to make that stupid rat in about a week and even now we still don't have a fetch quest. Looking back I think that rushing to meet that deadline was a mistake, all I know we got out of it was a rush-job rat and a sense of embarrassment and hopelessness due to another missed deadline. Personally I'd rather hold off on official deadlines and build up our GodHead content and our understanding of the Lips of Suna engine.
Woe upon the surface dwellers,
asleep in their peace,
bear them the mark of his trident,
and parade the price of corruption.
Musk-of-Ephesus
Community Admin

New postby Yaniv » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 8:50 pm

Looking forward seeing progress :)
Yaniv

New postby qubodup » Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:51 pm

Booyeah! Countdown!
Code: Select all
<iframe style="border: none;" src='http://qubodup.net/GodHeadCountDown.html' width='300px' height='200px'></iframe>
qubodup
Community Admin

New postby Warspawn » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 2:34 am

Here's keeping my fingers crossed ... :)

any small programming tasks need doing I will try to find the time...

Good Luck Godheadders
Warspawn

New postby Gladius.s » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 8:45 am

Reporting in, give me something to do.
Gladius.s
DHacker

New postby TheAncientGoat » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 11:54 am

Personally, I think the art team goals are a bit ambitious. Modeling + animation is very work intensive, and I don't think the coding tasks compare to that. Rather, just importing as many DH models as possible, and combining them in a repo or some kind of redistributable central area will be good enough.

Warspawn + Gladius: Fork my repo (https://github.com/TheAncientGoat/GodHeadLips), clone your fork, compile, and also download the Lips data, in order to test the current code base.
TheAncientGoat

New postby theotherhiveking » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:40 pm

First do what Goat said and get the code.

Warspawn wrote:any small programming tasks need doing I will try to find the time...

I have this list, in order of importance, choose the one you like the most.

-The physics feel really weird, the floor feels like the is made of ice and theres little gravity, its pretty floaty, if you're lucky maybe you can fix this only with finding the code and changing a couple of variables. -Its annoying and takes away from the game experience.

-Working sky, a plane is enough, but try to get a dome if you can. No need to have fancy stuff, just a plane or a dome with a single static texture, forget about night and day cycles and weather, too hard and pointless at this stage. -Just graphics, hardly important compared to the other two things.

Reporting in, give me something to do.

You're a artist, right? Ruined walls are important, the game action will pretty much take place in ruined places and caves for quite a while, we already have weapons and placeholder models so i'd say thats the most important thing.

Dont make them waist height, they should be around 2-3 blender units tall and 0.5 wide, lenght isnt really important, just stick to the 1.5-5 range. also dont make them look burnt or overtaken by vegetation, the salt in the air kills the plants at the shore.

Model the major details (like planks sticking out to the sides or larger blocks)
Up in blender is up in the new engine too, no need to rotate the models into weird positions. Keep the seams near the ground so i can work on them later, no need to sculpt, i will take care of that when i finish my university entrance exams next week.

If for whatever reason you cant export the models just post the original files here and i will do it, if you do manage to get them working, upload the exported models AND the original files.
"How to store your baby walker: First, remove baby."
theotherhiveking
Community Admin

New postby Brendan_ » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 1:13 pm

@Pal: The music file format for LoS is the same as ours: .ogg. I don't anticipate any needs beyond file formatting and finding where the config data is set for what to play when. It will be easiest for you to get the satisfaction of hearing it in game if you make those edits.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/lipsof ... 3AWorkflow

@Warspawn: Take a look at TheAncientGoat's github repo. Please compile and package some binaries for us. That would be our "guaranteed delivery" on the goal while we nonetheless work to put in as much of our content and features as possible.
https://github.com/TheAncientGoat/GodHeadLips
Can you do Windows and Linux? Many :scone2: if you can, sir.

@Musk: I'm confident we collectively can find a way to finish the face and skinning even if you, as primary artist, aren't in great health. (I do hope you're in great spirts :mrgreen: ) Let's see it as a team sport!
And what kept the rat from completion? Was it just the lack of a scripted quest? Was it animation? It's important we hone in on exactly where the production snags occur so we can produce more of this game we want to play!

@Yaniv: You and me both, just for a start!

@qubodup: I love it. :scone:
Two clarifications:
1. No interCaps in the name-- it's "Godhead" (which you have correct on the page text but not page title)
2. The old DH icon is an accidental holdover (I don't actually know where it's at to change it, and I'm busy with higher priority things). Just use :scone: as the icon instead, please.

@Gladius.s: Welcome back! del_diablo is task master, though I must say...

@Theotherhiveking: I like the cut of your jib, sir! This is exactly the sort of response I was hoping to inspire. Generate specific ideas on what work needs most to be done so we can succeed at our goal. I know we can do it; I'm just waiting to see how tremendously you can overshoot the basic goals.

and @TheAncientGoat: Fully animating Fengzhi would be too large an undertaking. He needs a couple of arm gestures for talking, and preferably a slow walk (Nils has said specifically that Fengzhi is a slow walker). Probably the most valued animation, though, is sitting down. He's a philosopher, not a Marine-- he can't be expected to muse standing up the whole time.
Brendan_
Project Leader

New postby TheAncientGoat » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 1:50 pm

theotherhiveking wrote:-the editor needs to support the rotating of models, maybe its possible and i just dont know how as theres not a whole lot of documentation. -Need this for decent level building.

-The physics feel really weird, the floor feels like the is made of ice and theres little gravity, its pretty floaty, if you're lucky maybe you can fix this only with finding the code and changing a couple of variables. -Its annoying and takes away from the game experience.

-Working sky, a plane is enough, but try to get a dome if you can. No need to have fancy stuff, just a plane or a dome with a single static texture, forget about night and day cycles and weather, too hard and pointless at this stage. -Just graphics, hardly important compared to the other two things.

Editor has rotation, press r. I guess some tips in the corner of the screen would help (r for rotate, x and v for copy and paste)

Physics need tweaking. Have people looking into it.

Skybox would be cool too
TheAncientGoat

New postby garvek » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 5:13 pm

I've started to take a look at the Skybox, but I'll take into account any thoughts, including if Warspawn would like to work on it.
MOV AX, 9
MOV DX, @Signature
INT 21H
garvek
Lead Programmer

New postby theotherhiveking » Wed, 07 Sep 2011 6:22 pm

Took the bit about rotation away.

Okay, about Fengzhi, the model is not showstopper, fengzhi will work just fine as a anime girl for the meantime*, just like the player character.
In God of War 1, Kratos looked like a toddler in a diaper for a good part of the development, we do have fully integrated and animated models for character, thats a luxury, its necessary but not that urgent.

About skinning, check this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liWluJimWM0
Finding a appropriate texture might be difficult, but its worth it, also texturing heads is HORRIBLE, humans are really good at recognizing faces, and if something looks 'weird' then Musk may fall into the common "infinite editing spiral" where the results never seems to be good enough for the artist.
Also, when you retopo the head, use the one in the video as a reference, blendercookie has some topology videos too.

I dont know if Fengzhi has hair, dont bother with it, for now everyone is bald or has a pink ponytail , the engine allows adding and replacing meshes, generic hair will be modeled for all the models to use later.

My point is, keep doing your work on the model, theres no need to stop just to make more animations for the current model, a character model takes a ridiculous amount of time, so just follow the natural order (model, retopo, texture, rig, animate, add the needed stuff for it to work with LoS) its pretty normal for a character model to take several weeks, even for professional artists. And posts Blends, people seem to have the habit of showing pics but not posting the actual model before suddenly disappearing .

*Did that make sense? i never used that word.
"How to store your baby walker: First, remove baby."
theotherhiveking
Community Admin

Next

Return to The Big Table